How I De-Stress

I teach kindergarten. I love my job, but I can't say it isn't without its unique kinds of stress. There's the parents. The administrators. Catty co-workers. All sorts of book-keeping I have to do on a regular basis. It's a lot. So how do I deal? 

Here are my time-tested methods:

1. In-Home Women's Massage: This is my favorite. I try to get a massage at home once a week. Before I knew this existed, I had to drive to the day spa. That didn't really fit into my schedule so instead of fifty or so massages  a year, it was maybe only like ten or fifteen. Most of the other teachers now get massages as well. But most of them still go to the spa, something I'm never going to do again.

In-home massage is just so much better. I can immediately shower afterwards and get the icky sticky oil off, and I can save about an hour between driving, parking, and sitting there in the waiting room. But just like traditional massage, the big issue is finding a good therapist that I vibed with. Women's massage isn't really a big thing; I find most of the people my husband and I know who go to get massages are men. Why? Women are told they are strong and can take the pain. I think that's really it.

There's also In-home Couples Massage, but my husband is not the biggest fan of massages. If I didn't push him, he'd never really go. He's not so keen on having someone touch him. He's really not the most touchy-feely kind of guy, which I guess is kind of common. He has never had a massage on his own, just Couples Massages. The first time we did it, it was in a day spa. He hated every minute of it. He kept joking that maybe next he'll come with me and get his nails done. 

The second appointment we had, he drove us to the day spa, and then refused to go in. He sat in the car reading the New York Times, while I had to go solo. That's how we found out about massages at home. I was perusing the Internet, and found out that there are options for people with social anxiety. I don't think that's really his issue. It's more like he's embarrassed about doing a "woman thing." He was a college football player, really a he-man kind of guy. I can understand.

2. Epsom Salt Baths: This is my go-to method. I fill up the tub about five days a week and soak until my skin looks like a prune. I unscrew the light bulb and replace it with a red one. I bring my essential oil diffuser into the bathroom. Fill up the tub with very warm water. And then proceed to dump in an entire quart-sized container of Epsom Salt. 

I used to bring my schoolwork into the tub. Once, I dropped my lesson planner into the water. At least it smelled nice afterwards, as I also scent the water with lavender. But I stopped doing this. I then began reading for fun. But I stopped doing that as well. That's when the red light bulb came into the picture. Now I just lie there and stare at the red ceiling for an hour.

Epsom Salt really rejuvenates sore muscles. A massage therapist turned me on to this. She told me it "removes toxins." That's what LMTs say about everything. Actually, the magnesium in the Epsom Salt helps muscles to loosen, as magnesium is necessary for muscles to relax. I don't know why they think it's all about detoxifying poisons. It does seem rather odd. 

Those are my two ways to stay calm. I do have others but I'll save that for another blog. Between massages and baths, I am pretty calm and ready for the next day. I don't have the most stressful life, but I do have two kids and they're always finding ways to stress me. I know they don't mean it. Well, maybe my boy Mason does. He has a mean streak that he got from his Grandfather on his Dad's side. Like the time he poured red RIT dye into the dryer. He ruined my favorite dress. Did he know that would be the end result? His exact words were, "Mom, I did you a favor and did some custom design work. I was thinking I might be a clothing designer when I grow up, but take a look. It didn't work out so well. I think I'm going to try something else." It was his devilish grin that gave away his not-so-good intentions. That, and I've been teaching kids for ten years now. I know a devious kid when I see one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Lives Matter Mural Defaced In Brooklyn

Donating Clothes On Staten Island